Tuesday, December 23, 2014

The Twelve Days of Christmas - Day Twelve!

Happy Tuesday Everyone!

We did it!  We made it to the last project in my Twelve Days series!  Group hug for everyone!

From Millan.Net


I really struggled with today's project.  I knew what technique I wanted to show you, but I had so much trouble coming up with the final finished project.  I'm still not 100% thrilled with it, but I'm running with it anyway!  I think I'm just a tad bit burned out.  At least, that's what I'm going to blame it on.

Today I'm showing you another great way to use up scraps.  We're doing a technique I call the herringbone quilt technique.


I used up quite a bit of all the pretty Christmas papers I've accumulated during this series.  All you need to do is cut them in 1/2" and 1/4" widths.




I used another image from Paper Trey Ink's set called Tremendous Treats:  Christmas.  Have I mentioned I'm in love with this set?  Yep...it's true.  






This technique is pretty easy, and once you get your strips cut, it goes quickly.  I took a piece of white card stock cut to 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" and ran it through my Xyron 9" Creative Station.  I love Xyron machines because you get edge to edge adhesive coverage without fail.  I use my 9" machine and my "X" Sticker maker a lot.

Cut your patterned paper or card stock in 1/2" and 1/4" widths -- or whatever widths you want.  I like the look of assorted sizes as it adds extra interest to the overall effect.  You'll want to take three strips to make quadrants on your sticky card stock.  In the picture below, I used the red dotted strip, the Christmas tree strip, and the bells strip on the left.  Place one strip diagonally across your piece, and then place the other two pieces perpendicular on either side of the first strip.  (Watch the video...it makes more sense then my rambling here.)  You'll then fill in each section with strips, changing direction in each quadrant as shown below.  Again...watch the video for a clearer explanation of what I'm trying to tell you here!  :)



I ran my finished quilted piece through my Big Kick with the Top Note die.  I don't know if anyone besides Stampin' Up! has that, but there are similarly shaped Spellbinders Nestabilities if you're looking for something comparable.

The picture below shows the pens and markers I used to add a bit of sparkle and shine.  I used the metallic Sharpie to go around the edge of the quilted piece.  I used my atyou Spica pens to add some glitter to my stamped image on the front.




I really hope you all have enjoyed my very first Twelve Days of Christmas series.  I hope you had fun and maybe even learned something new!

Here's the video of this project.



Be sure to stay tuned in 2015 as well.  I'm going to be bringing you a monthly altered tag linky party.  I don't want to call it a "challenge" because it's really not.  It's just a way to have fun, use our supplies, meet some new friends, and maybe learn a thing or two.  I'll be providing you monthly prompts or themes.  It'll be fun to see how everyone interprets those ideas.  I hope you'll join me!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Thanks for looking at my blog. I appreciate all the wonderful comments everyone leaves. Happy Crafting!

3 comments:

  1. This is the perfect end to your 12 days of Christmas projects. I love it, it's beautiful and it would be fantastic for all of the scraps at other times of the year. Gonna watch the video now. I loved the little group hug thingie at the top, that's cute. Merry Christmas. hugs, patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loads of those narrow strips and never know what to do with them! Great idea, Sheri!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this is a great way to use up the "zi strip" off the 12x 12 papers that have a little extra on them...I love this and your entire series! Merry Christmas and have a wonderful 2015 Sheri

    ReplyDelete